It will not be wrong to say that the railways are the lifeline of our nation. It connects states and people from one end of the country to another. As one of the leading manufacturers of railway electrification structures, we have curated facts on railway electrification in India that you will find interesting:
- The first electric train ran from the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus to Kurla: The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), earlier called Victoria Terminus (VT), is a historic railway station as it is from here that Indiaâ€™s first electric train ran in February 1925. The Mumbai suburban section was electrified on 1500 Volt DC.
- The first electrically-operated railway service began in 1931: In 1931, Chennai (then Madras) got the first electrically operated rail service between Madras Beach and Tambaram.
- In 1957, India adopted the 25 kV AC system of electrification like the rest of the world: Railway electrification systems using 25 kV AC are used worldwide, especially for high-speed rail. However, at the time of Independence, India adopted 3000 Volt DC during the period of 1st Five year Plan. But later it was realised the 25 kV AC system was more economical. In 1957, Indian Railways adopted the 25 kV AC system of electrification as a standard. In 1960, the first section was electrified on the 25 kV AC system.
- Production of Electric locomotives got a boost: As the Indian railways were gradually adopting the 25 kV AC system, the production of electric locomotives was increased. In 1961, the first 1500 V DC electric locomotive was launched in Bombay Area (Mumbai).
- Indian Railways have electrified 52,247 Route kilometres (RKM) so far: It is interesting to note that when it comes to railway electrification, India has made great strides. By the second Five Year Plan, the country had completed electrification of 216 RKM (route kilometre) on 25 kV AC traction only. Today, the figure stands at 52,247 Route kilometres (RKM). This means, 80% of broad-gauge routes are electrified with 25 kV AC electric traction. The Indian railways aim to electrify the entire rail network by 2024.
In this journey of rapid railway electrification, Utkarsh India Limited has an important role to play. As a CORE PART I approved vendor, we manufacture and supply all types of railway electrification structures. We also offer customised structures. We also offer steel structures for railway electrification.
Why choose Utkarsh India for Railway Electrification?
As one of the leading manufacturers of railway electrification structures, we have two plants of 12.5 mtr Long Hot Dip Galvanising facility using Special high grade Zinc. We source raw materials from reputed brands such as SAIL and Hindustan Zinc. Our design department uses the latest hardware and ERP System.